Living Well with Chronic Conditions
The Living Well with Chronic Conditions is also known as Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP).
Participants in the class will learn about:
- Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility and endurance
- Appropriate use of medication
- Communication strategies for family, friends and health professionals
- Decision making
- Evaluating new treatments
- Six-week program for 2.5 hours/week
- Facilitate by 2 trained leaders (non-health professionals)
- Hosted in a community setting
- Provides skills to coordinate all the things needed to manage their health and keep active in their lives
After successfully completing Chronic Disease Self-Management Program:
- Participants see improvements in exercise, cognitive symptom management, communication with physicians, self-reported general health, health distress, fatigue, disability and social/role activities limitations.
- The spend fewer days in the hospital.
- They have fewer outpatients visits and hospitalizations.
- Cost savings ratio 1:4