Caring for an older relative or friend can be stressful and isolating, often leading to depression and negative health impacts. Caregivers have been found to neglect their own health and self-care as they focus their energies and concerns on the person receiving care.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is an education program for family caregivers of older adults. Based on a self-efficacy model, the program empowers family caregivers to reduce negative effects of caregiving and to practice self-care.
Caregivers develop a wealth of self-care tools to:
- reduce personal stress
- change negative self-talk
- communicate their needs to family members and healthcare or service providers
- communicate more effectively in challenging situations
- recognize the messages in their emotions
- deal with difficult feelings
- make tough caregiving decisions