2017 MEDICARE COST SHARING
SOCIAL SECURITY COST OF LIVING INCREASE 2017
- The Cost of Living Increase (COLA) for 2017 is 0.3%.
MEDICARE PART A HOSPITAL COST SHARING 2017
- Deductible – $1,316 per benefit period for Days 1-60
- $329 a day for 61st – 90th day each benefit period
- $658 a day for 91st – 150th day each benefit period
- Also known as “Lifetime Reserve Days”
- Skilled Nursing Facility
- $164.50 a day for 21st – 100th day each benefit period
MEDICARE PART B MEDICAL PREMIUMS 2017
- Standard Monthly Premium – $134
- The Social Security Act contains a “Hold Harmless” provision that protects Medicare beneficiaries from paying a larger percentage increase in the Medicare Part B premium than they receive in their COLA.
- The premium for Medicare beneficiaries protected from the “Hold Harmless” will vary depending on the person’s Social Security benefit in 2017. For example:
- If your 0.3% COLA in 2017 amounted to $3.00 per month, your Medicare Part B premium could increase no more than $3.00 per month.
- Medicare beneficiaries who are protected by this provision include:
- 2016 Medicare Part B enrollees (before 1/1/2017) that have their premiums withheld from their SSA check and have incomes below $85,000 for a single and $170,000 for a couple.
MEDICARE PART B DEDUCTIBLE 2017
- Annual – $183
If you have questions about your Medicare coverage or costs associated with Medicare, contact the Senior LinkAge Line® at 1-800-333-2433. The Senior LinkAge Line® is a service of the Minnesota Board on Aging and the Minnesota River Area Agency on Aging®, Inc.