Caring for an older relative or friend can be stressful and isolating, often leading to depression and negative health impacts. Caregivers have been found to neglect their own health and self-care as they focus their energies and concerns on the person receiving care.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is an education program for family caregivers of older adults. Based on a self-efficacy model, the program empowers family caregivers to reduce negative effects of caregiving and to practice self-care.
Caregivers develop a wealth of self-care tools to:
- reduce personal stress
- change negative self-talk
- communicate their needs to family members and healthcare or service providers
- communicate more effectively in challenging situations
- recognize the messages in their emotions
- deal with difficult feelings
- make tough caregiving decisions
- Classes are 90 minutes/week during for six weeks.
- Meetings are led by 2 trained coaches.
- Class participants also receive a copy of The Caregiver Helpbook, developed specifically for the class.
- Hosted in a community setting.
Data from class participant evaluations indicates the Powerful Tools for Caregivers program improves:
- Self-Care Behaviors (increased exercise, use of relaxation techniques and medical check ups).
- Management of Emotions (reduced guilt, anger, and depression).
- Self-efficacy (increased confidence in coping with caregiving demands).
- Use of Community Resources (increased utilization of community services).
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is a nationwide program with a detailed, scripted curriculum. Class Leaders will help caregivers develop self-care tools to: reduce personal stress; change negative self-talk; communicate their needs to family members and healthcare or service providers; communicate more effectively in challenging situations; recognize the messages in their emotions, deal with difficult feelings; and make tough caregiving decisions.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers Leader Requirements
- A co-leader with whom to teach the 6-week caregiver class
- Group facilitation skills
- A sponsoring organization
- Experience working with family caregivers
- Attend two full-day Class Leader Training
- Teach at least two caregiver classes within the first year
If you would like to offer the 6-week class for caregivers in your community, register below to become a trained PTC Class Leader.