How Do I Replace My Medicare Card?

The Medicare card is your proof that you have Medicare health insurance.  If your card is lost, stolen or damaged, you can ask for a new one by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or visiting the Social Security website at .  You will need the name that appears on your card, your social security number and your date of birth.  Once you request a new card it should arrive in the mail in about 30 days.  It will be mailed to the address Social Security has on file.  If you need proof sooner than 30 days, you can also request a letter which you will receive in about 10 days.  If you have moved and have not reported this to Social Security, you will need to report the change before they can process your request.  If you need help in contacting Social Security to request a new Medicare card, contact the Senior LinkAge Line®.

The Senior LinkAge Line® is a free statewide service of the Minnesota Board on Aging and Area Agencies on Aging.  Specialists provide one-to-one assistance with helping older adults age well and live well.  The Senior LinkAge Line® is the federally-designated State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for Minnesota and is the place to call for Medicare and health insurance issues. Call 1-800-333-2433 for assistance or go to® to chat live with a Senior LinkAge Line® specialist.

Share on: