The Living Well with Chronic Pain is also known as Chronic Pain Self-Management Program (CPSMP).
Participants in the class will learn about:
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility and endurance
- Solve problems such as frustration, fatigue, isolation and poor sleep
- Communication strategies for family, friends and health professionals
- Eating well
- Pacing activity and rest periods
- Six-week program for 2.5 hours/week
- Facilitate by 2 trained leaders (non-health professionals)
- Hosted in a community setting
- Provide skills to manage health and maintain active and fulfilling lives
- Intended for those who experience on-going pain and the people who care for them.
After successfully completing Chronic Pain Self-Management Program:
- Improvements in exercise, cognitive symptom management, communication with physicians, self-reported general health, health distress, fatigue, disability and social/role activities limitations
- Fewer days in the hospital
- Fewer outpatient visits and hospitalizations