A MATTER OF BALANCE
A Matter of Balance (MOB) acknowledges the risk of falling but emphasizes practical coping strategies to reduce this fear.
- Promoting a view of falls and fear of falling as controllable
- Setting realistic goals for increasing activity
- Changing the environment to reduce fall risk factors
- Promoting exercise to increase strength and balance.
- The workshop is conducted over eight sessions, meeting weekly or twice weekly for two hours per session.
- Meetings are led by 2 trained coaches.
- A Guest Healthcare Professional visit to the community class.
- Hosted in a community setting.
- The program’s goal is to reduce fear of falling, stop the fear of falling cycle, and increase activity levels among community-dwelling older adults.
After successfully completing A Matter of Balance:
- 97% of participants are more comfortable talking about fear of falling
- 97% feel comfortable increasing activity
- 99% plan to continue exercising
- 98% would recommend MOB
- In 2013: Report to Congress by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services which evaluated Community-based Wellness and Prevention Programs. A Matter of Balance demonstrated a $938 savings with savings in the area of unplanned inpatient hospitalizations, skilled nursing facilities and home health.