How Prepared Are We for a Permanently Older Society?
The Minnesota Board on Aging, in partnership with the Minnesota Department of Human Services, is looking ahead to the year 2030, and here’s why:
- In the years between 2010 and 2030, 10,000 baby boomers are turning 65 every day!
- Only 5% of the older adult population lives in long-term care facilities. The other 95% are either living independently or are being cared for by family members, neighbors or community-based agencies.
- 2030 marks the year baby boomers begin turning 85!
Based on this reality, NOW is the time for communities to begin a new conversation about what our future can be so all older adults and their families are supported and communities can thrive. It is truly a transformative time in our communities!
As a partner in this process, the Minnesota River Area Agency on Aging (MNRAAA) has hosted eight 2030 Community Conversations throughout our twenty-seven-county service area. Using a small group process, older adults, family members, service providers, and elected officials provided input about in-home services available today that are working well or not working so well, envisioned service needs of an 85-year-old in 2030 and provided suggestions for the type of resources needed to implement the ideas proposed. The information gathered at the Conversations is being reported to the state and will be used to identify the policy issues individuals believe are most important to our future as an older society.
To learn more about MN 2030, visit their website at mn.gov/dhs/mn2030. You are also encouraged to provide input at surveys.dhs.state.mn.us/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=149581989669.